Sunday, 26 September 2010

CCC #15 - Alcohol ink agate

I haven't managed to finish the middle section of this frame yet but wanted to show the butterfly I made while it's within this week's 'Compendium of Curiosity' Challenge. I used this week's technique from p53 of Tim Holtz's book - Alcohol ink agate on grunge - to colour the grungeboard butterfly wings. I used White metallic paint, alcohol inks (Watermelon, Terra Cotta, Citrus), copper alcohol ink mixative, blending solution and then over-stamped with Sepia Archival ink and one of Tim's Flights of Fancy stamps: Doesn't show well but the effect reminded me of printed velvet. The rose center is grungepaper coloured with Wild Honey Distress Ink and finished with a pearly brad.
Les ailes de papillon sont colorés avec une technique utilisant des encres à alcool et la peinture sur 'grungeboard'. Chaque semaine, le "Compendium of Curiosities" Challenge utilise une technique différente du livre de Tim Holtz. La rose de 'grungepaper' est coloré avec de l'encre Distress 'Wild Honey'.

Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Distress samplers

After having shown the cover, here are 2 of the pages I have made for my 7x5" sampler book.
I will be teaching these techniques next month so wanted to get a few examples of what can be done with them.
The Simon Says Stamp joint challenge team hop asks for a Holiday themed something so I made the first one with that in mind using the Water-stamping technique with Milled Lavender, Dusty Concord, Stormy Sky and Broken China Distress Inks and a Hampton Art swirl stamp. Then raided my draw for a few bits: Alcohol-inked an old peel-off and metal snowman, who then got stuck on to white-core card and sanded and scraped within an inch of his life. Used more peel-offs as masks to the Distress inks and then slopped a lot of glitter glue over it (More than intended as the nozzle shot out at one point!) and pressed a piece of hessian in to that before sticking the snowman on 3D foam.
Water-stamping was the first Compendium of Curiosities challenge on Linda's L3 blog so this is a bit of a catch-up too. And this week's challenge - #14 already ! - is Masking as per p58 of Tim Holtz's book so there's a bit of that there and even more here:
This time I used Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey and Scattered Straw Distress Inks over Tim's Idea-ology mini-mask 'Florets'. I then over-stamped with Tim's 'Flights of Fancy' stamps and Archival Sepia ink.

AND, I have a place on Tim's workshop at the UK PaperArtsy event in February: I shall be learning from the master himself and meeting lots of blogging buddies: I am sooooooo excited!

Sunday, 12 September 2010

Grungepaper Flowers - CCC#13

I have started making a sampler of distress ink techniques that I will photograph more of  later. For now, here is the cover which I am entering for this week's Compendium of Curiosities Challenge #13 - Grungepaper Flowers as per Tim Holtz's technique. I shaped the grungepaper with Spellbinders 'Floral Creation 3' in the Cuttlebug: They didn't cut through but gave me an outline to work with and then I coloured the parts with Distress Inks (wild honey, frayed burlap and spiced marmalade). Just occurred to me that they look like dried orange peel !
I used Zutter chipboard covers which are very smooth and easy to colour with Distress Inks (shabby shutters, wild honey, spiced marmalade) but not so easy to stamp on to. I wanted to give it some texture too so I stamped with Stazon on to scrunched tissue paper then used a glue-varnish to stick that over the coloured surface. I had already stamped the marmalade butterflies underneath as I wanted to give a 3D kind of effect: They show through but the plants that I stamped along the bottom disappeared once I brushed the glue over. Once it was all dry on that side, I glued the tissue over the edges and on to the back, left to dry and coloured these parts with alcohol ink. I then added the flowers and accent pieces and used nibs with the Distress to add a bit more colour to the bird and butterflies.
 (dreadful lighting on this photo - sorry)
Supplies: Zutter covers and wire; Distress Inks; Stazon black ink; white tissue paper; grungepaper; Idea-ology Ornate Corners, Foliage and Bookplates; Glossy Accents; Stamps: Tim Holtz 'Flights of Fancy', Ranger Alcohol ink (Bottle green); Colle-vernis (glue-varnish).
I fancy adding some rock candy too but still waiting to get some...

Saturday, 11 September 2010

Fête Déguisée (masked ball)

Wow, have I been busy! Had to hit the ground running this week: 4 different scrapbooking events in 5 days! More of that and other things I've been up to soon...but here's the only thing from this week that I've managed to finish so far!
Used scraps of paper; the Cuttlebug with D'vine Swirls and Spiderweb embossing folders; 'Not the Boss' alphabet and Spellbinders 'Flower Creations 3'; Making Memories buttons and Hampton Art 'Love Circles' stamps.